From The Author

Giacomo Leopardi inspired me to write this Book on 'Sunset Love'. He was inspired by a young woman across the street from him when h...

From The Author

Giacomo Leopardi inspired me to write this Book on 'Sunset Love'. He was

inspired by a young woman across the street from him when he wrote his

famous poem 'A Silvia". I was looking for a name close to Silvia to be the main

character in my book on third age love and I found it... I wanted to pick up on

the theme of love and explore in greater detail the various manifestations of

this very complex and yet simple sentiment.

The episodes of this book are fictional in nature but relate to some real life

personal experiences of mine and of people whom I met after the love of my

life, my wife, died too early at the beginning of my own third age. No reference

is made to anyone single individual. However I did write the poems as if my

ideal person for friendship, companionship and love combined well in my

quest for love in my sunset years.

A love that is much more than a simple physical relationship. The main

character in this book, Silvana in this series of episodes, gave me the

opportunity to appreciate the suave manner, her shining eyes and captivating

smile which continued to prod me along with my writing. She mesmerized me

just like Silvia who gave Italian literature one of its greatest love poems! But

unlike Leopardi's Silvia, may Padula's Silvana give our third age readers hope

for fortune in finding their own sunset love!

To all who are in their sunset years and are on their own because of failed

relationships or sickness or death, the quest for love remains intact. I hope

that you, the reader, enjoy these 'poems' as much as I have done writing them.


Tom Padula - Melbourne, October 2019